Sunday, January 25, 2009

One week has gone by

I can't believe we have been here just one week. It has really flown by like I knew it would. It's kind of crazy. I still am very much in love with this wonderful city. I still can't believe that I'm just 3 blocks away from the queen and minutes from big ben and the eye and all the other wonderful stuff. I'm finally a little more aware of my surroundings and where everything is. I don't realize how close everything is because we just take the tube so often and bypass everything else.

Thursday we got phones finally. They were fairly cheap too. We all got the same so will have to figure out a way to differentiate them but so far we haven't had issues. We also visited a little market to get fruits and veg. They were fairly cheap too. so we were happy.

Cooking takes a long time because we have a group of 6 or 7 and our ovens and stoves take a long time, so if you have easy recipes feel free to email them! or mail them!

The play we went to, Blood Brothers, was pretty good. It was kind of funny too. It was a musical and the main actress had a great voice! It was fun to go to one even though we didn't have to dress up or anything, just the atmosphere was fun I guess.

It's been a little rainy but not terrible. Friday was cold but other than that it hasn't been unbearable, nothing like Iowa! Friday we went to class at Brikbeck College which is part of the University of London. None of us really remember how to get there but we'll all go together as a group and we have directions.

That afternoon we did a scavenger hunt all over London. Literally all over. We had like 10 tasks to get done in 2 hours that were all over. We went in groups of 3 and I was fairly certain we were going to win but unfortunately we didn't make it back first. but we still were rocking. we got all of the tasks and the extra ones done. Including having a police man let one of us wear the hat and take a picture. We went to places including the History museum, St. James Cathedral, a picture on top of the lions at Trafalgar's square, some toy store that was 7 floors! and a lot of other places. It was a lot of fun. I was quite tired of stairs and running though. We were pretty much running all over and sprinting up and down the stairs. It was fun though.
While we were waiting for one of the trains we heard an announcement about a person under a train. It was an eye opener I guess. They said it happens all the time. We were surprised that they actually said that it was a person under the train and not just a passenger accident or a delay.

We hung out friday night at ISH (international student house). They've got a bunch of stuff including trips and other free stuff going on that we can do. They also have a bar and areas to hang out at. Pretty much all of us from Vandon house were there I think.

Saturday we went to a market after we finally found it. We took a wrong turn outta the tube station but once we found it it was pretty cool. It was big too. It's similar to the Dutch market at tulip time but on the streets. We found some cheap scarves. It was really cold other wise i think we may have looked around more. It was deffinantly the coldest it has been so far.
But I'm still glad to be in Snowless warmer than Iowa, England!

Today we all rested up...we got up finally at 1. Kelsey and I did some laundry. The washers are tiny. and the dryers are huge. hopefully our clothes are clean. Then we tried to go shopping but most of the stores close at 5 and it was approching that time. I wasn't really in the shopping mood anyway. I still need to find a nice coat though. Some day soon I'll find one.

Tomorrow we actually have class. I only have classes on mondays...And then I'm supposed to have my internship but we still don't know anything about it. Hopefully tomorrow I guess. If the hospital doesn't turn out we'll find another one somewhere they said. Another guy is just working at a homeless shelter for his, not that I want to do that really, but something will work out.

Sorry for another long one. We've been keeping busy so we don't get homesick or miss anyone too much. That's not really the reason but it helps! Even though I do miss home and other things but we've been having a blast and seeing a lot so that helps.

No comments:

Post a Comment