Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Days 1-3

I’ve written in my journal so I’m going to write some of that or the important things I guess…and then go from there :)

Day 1 January 17

My journey begins. This week was hard, saying good byes always is….The roads weren’t the greatest getting to Chicago. It was really windy and snow was blowing over them but we made it, in less the then expected 5 hours. Check in at O’Hare went fairly quickly and was easy. It was helpful that Erin’s parents were there. My bags were under the weight limit and I was able to get an isle seat. Our plane was late getting to Chicago so we were late boarding and departing and they had to de-ice twice…There were a bunch of us on the plane so it was fun. While we were in the airport we were looking to see if we could figure out who was a student going with us. The girl that sat next to me on the plane was going to Spain to study, not through Central and not to Granada like the Central program.

While waiting for our plane to go I read psalm 34. A patient showed it to me at work one day and I really enjoyed it and was glad I read it then…Verse 4 is “I sought the Lord and He answered me; he delivered me from all my fears” It helped me a lot. Especially with seeing that plane go down in the Hudson earlier. [1/20 update, I pretty much feel fearless here, I still like traveling in a group though just to be certain but I’m not scared about making friends or travel plans or silly stuff. It is wonderful!]

I also read Isaiah 43. I really like verse 3. Just another reminder that no matter where we are God is with us and looking out for us and protecting us. Always. Also verse 18—“See I am doing new things.” Already the first few days I did so many new things.

Day 2 January 18

We’re in London! It’s so crazy still! At Heathrow our plane landed and then we got off the plane right there, it wasn’t attached to a terminal, we went down the stairs and had to get on a shuttle to take us a little ways to the gate, since Heathrow is huge! But then we successfully all made it through security/customs. They did ask me for my enrollment letter, I’m not sure about anyone else though, but I did have it! It was quite easy, just a few questions and we were on our way to baggage claim. All but 2 of us got all our bags. (they had a connecting flight and it didn’t get on our plane, but they have it now!)

We then went on a long walk to the desk where we would wait for our shuttle to take us to Vandon House. We were all very fascinated with the sights, no spaces between the buildings and driving on the wrong side of the road! We got to Vandon house and got our keys and made our way to our rooms, the elevator was quiet small, only one person and their luggage could fit…

Once in our room we were a little nervous about the size of it with 3 girls sharing one closet and 3 drawers but it’s working out fine. After unpacking and getting a little settled we had pizza at Vandon House.

We then went on a little walk to kind of get acquainted with the area. Not that it helped me much…We eventually made it to a pub called The Albert. Which is just down the road and will probably become one of our local places to hang out. We hung out there quite a bit, it’s a pretty neat place inside. The lights look like dinosaur eggs, not that you care or know what I’m talking about…but anywho…

After leaving the pub a few of us went to try to fill our oyster cards, which are super handy for getting on and off the underground. A weeks pass cost us 18 pounds and we can use the tube as many times as we need in zones 1 and 2. Zone one starts at Center London and goes out a ways and then Zone 2 starts farther out, there are 4 total zones breaking up London. We’ll mostly be in zones 1 &2. More useless info for you! The oyster card allows us to touch it to a place on the gate, opening the gates with out needing a ticket. It’s really quick once you get the hang of it.

Day 3, Monday 1/11

We had to get up early to get breakfast and start orientation stuff. Westminster chapel is right across the street which is where we did this. Not to be confused with Westminster Abbey or Westminster cathedral…

Orientation was alright, we knew a lot of it. A guy from the metropolitan police came and talked to us. This was interesting. After that we had lunch which was provided for us. Huge bun like things for sandwhiches, it was good.

After that we divided into 2 groups. My group with my friends in it. Went on a walking tour of the town with a tour guide. He was good we saw all over London. Probably a bunch of places you wouldn’t normally find. And I don’t know if I’ll find them again or not but o well. It was cool to see. I don’t really remember much about all the places (as you can probably see from the pictures) but it was still really cool to see.

After that we had another meeting about Vandon house rules and stuff. We all just about fell asleep. After that we eventually went to the pub (the Albert) for supper because we couldn't find another one that was relatively cheap and open. The food was good, no complaints from us. Then we went on a walk all over London. (See the pictures!)

It was a lot of fun, we kinda got lost but ended up finding our way back! It was so much fun. I love this city.

I will post soon again hopefully so it won't be so long next time! but we've been busy as you can see!

No comments:

Post a Comment