Thursday, January 29, 2009

First Actual Day of Internship


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Middlesex_Hospital
Read it and see if you find anything interesting :) I didn't change anything either!
Anyways...

Wednesday I met the lady that will actually be watching over me while I am at West Mid Hospital. Her name is Ruth, she is head faculty of nursing in the learning and development department. I also worked with Tina Jones who works along with Ruth. We did audits, which are random checks of 5 beds. They do these every wednesday morning on different Wards. We checked that the patients Wrist Id matched the names on their paper work, checked to see if certain things were done in the paper work, and the cleanliness/safety of things around the bed. We did this in a surgical ward and in A and E (Accident and Emergency).

I learned that there was double murder that came in the night before so everyone was a little on edge about that still. The wards are divided into bays, in the one we were at the bays held 6 patients each divided only curtains. I don't think I would like this very much if I was sick but they are used to it and some patients don't like the idea of having single rooms. All of thier paperwork is still paper. Which is handy because it is all mostly right by the bed but I would think that by using computers we become a little more secure with privacy. But it is kind of a pain to log on and chart, it would be handy to just quick write something in the book.

The A&E is divided in to different sections based on the type of injury, the beds here are also all divided by curtains too, except for in critical (i think) and pediatric. While we were in the A&E I got the chance to talk to 2 medical students. It was very interesting to talk with them, mainly because I haven't really socialized with any Brits my age yet since we live in downtown Victoria. They were interested in why I was here and about the Medical program in the States, just as I was about the Medical programs here.

They also told me an interesting story about the founder of the University of London. Apparently his head is preserved or whatever and the rival school, Kings something or something kings say that they've played football with his head. It was kind of strange so I wasn't really listening that much :S

That afternoon I helped set up with the Learning and Development award ceremony that was going on. It was for staff that had taken classes or done something to gain knowledge or help others gain knowledge. It was a short ceremony but still kind of boring for me since I knew no one. I did get flowers though because they had extras. :) they were really pretty. After that I headed home because we went to the musical Spring Awakening.

Although we left with plenty of time to get there we ended up being late and missing the first 2 songs. When we got to the tube station we had to wait for 2 tubes to go because they were completely full, people were almost in the doors so we couldn't have gotten on. The 3rd one was emptier and so we hopped on. When we got a few stops later though we didn't move for a while and the 'driver' said that she was given the wrong route so they had to get that sorted out. Then we got to Earl's court station where there's a bunch of switching lines and they told us that this train was terminating at Wimbledon, not Richmond like we needed so we had to get off and wait for a richmond train...
When the richmond one finally came it took a while to go and then a little while later it said that we had a red light or something so we had to wait a while before finally going. So anyway we made it there like 10 minutes late or so.

The play was interesting but good. You can ask me more about it if you really want to know but I think this is getting long enough so I will stop boring you.

We leave for york at 820 tomorrow morning so I will be gone all weekend.
Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment