Tuesday, January 27, 2009

My Internship

I got back a little while ago and haven't really looked to see what anyone is up to yet so I thought I would update everyone about my internship. It is at West Middlesex hospital. It is a beautiful place. In 2004 they expanded and rebuilt part of the hospital. It's also huge! So if you have problems getting around the hospital in Pella, you would be completely lost in this one, as I'm sure I will be. I didn't like wearing my name badge while I was walking around by my self today because people kept asking me where things were. I had no idea.

The West Mid hospital is part of the NHS trust. Meaning that it provides services on behalf of the National Health Service of England. When people heard I had never worked at a hospital that was part of the trust they all got this nervous look. It will be interesting to find out what that means. I am really excited to get to know the other people and figure out how it is different from the hospitals in the states. Everyone there was really excited when they heard I'm from Iowa. They are even going to do a write up about me in their paper because people who come and do work experience there are like celebrities I guess. It should be fun.

My journey today began by train, not the underground, the over ground rail system. I was very nervous but also excited. I had no idea where to go at first so I asked and then I was terrified I was on the wrong train because I didn't see my stop but it would have been right. Due to some door problems, however, the train was delayed and they chose to bypass all other stops and go directly to where the train terminated. This meant I had to get on a different train, not a big deal it was right across the platform. I then rode to my stop where I had to change trains. This was also a little terrifing because there were so many people and the station was quite large and I didn't know where I was going but I followed the crowd and read the signs on the wall as I was walking and found the right platform. The trains were very smooth so I was able to do a little reading and journaling.
I then got off and had to hop on a bus that brought me right to West Mid hospital.

I met Stephan who will be looking after me for the next 14 weeks. He's in charge of all the volunteers as well as the work experience students (that's what I am). He's also in charge of everything from the front doors to the old part. which is a pretty big area. We toured the hospital and I have no idea where anything is or who any one is, but they are all excited about me. So that's a good thing!
I also went to their library to get orientated. I'm sure this would be very handy if I was actually studying medicine now but I think I may spend some time there either on my lunch or after work. (I'm a nerd, I know, but they appear to have a very good selection of material).

I still am not positive what I'll be doing. I meet a lady named Ruth tomorrow who I think I will be working with a lot. I also think I get to observe in a lot of different areas which will be fabulous. I have already noticed a bunch of differences and am excited for all the ones to come.

While I was waiting I read a couple articles that said that they have decreased their outbreak of MRSA (also known as the superbug) because of some new policies. Such as not allowing clothing below the elbow in the clinical areas. I think this is a good idea but know that at work I would freeze if i couldn't wear long sleeves. They are also very adamit about reminding you to wash or santitize your hands with posters everywhere. Maybe I'll learn some good things and can pass the word on to our hospital! haha

I go back tomorrow bright and early, I have to be there at 8:30. So I will let you know how that goes and if I know what I'll actually be doing!
Have a wonderful day!

No comments:

Post a Comment