Saturday, February 14, 2009

Happy Valentine's Day!

I thought today was going to be a day that would make me miss Randy even more than normal being in one of the most beautiful cities on Valentine's day but it really just seemed like another day. One of my friend's roommates came from Wales for the weekend, and 3 of our other normal friends were out of town. So our "family", as we like to call it, was noticeably smaller. Amy, Val, her roommate, and I decided we wanted to try to go to a show tonight but it being Valentine's day and all most of the shows were full and the ones that we could have gotten tickets too we didn't know what they were. So we decided to go to a movie instead. We picked "He's just not that into you". We thought it would be fitting. It was a really good movie. but anyways.

This week was good. Classes went well on Monday. A bunch were late to class because our closest tube station was shut down for a few minutes because someone "falling" before a train. We left after this group though and were able to make it to class with out problems. I guess sometimes it's okay to be late!

Monday night we also went to a play for theatre class. The Pitman Painters, was about coal miners who started taking an art class and were really good at painting. I really like this play. I thought it was one of the better ones we have seen so far.

Tuesday and Wednesday I was back at West Middlesex hospital for my internship. I was in the Ear, Nose and Throat clinic in the afternoon on tuesday. and while this was very interesting I don't think I want to specialize in this area. I don't think I could look at the same things all day everyday even if you never see 2 of the same cases. I did learn very interesting things though and if you want to know more you can ask.

On Wednesday I went to a Breaking Bad News session for Med students and Nurses. This was presented very well and I think I got some tips I may be able to use in the future. After that I got to see thier skills lab. Becuase West Mid is a teaching hospital they train Med students who are in there 3rd year. (they have a different way of doing medschool). I think I probably looked like a kid in a candy store! I was soo amazed by everything even though I'm sure med schools have all of this same stuff I just have never seen it up close. Models for litterally everything, all of them can be changed to act like certain things. It was soo cool. but the best part was that I got to take blood! On the plastic practice arms but still! I was so excited you have no idea! It was surprisingly easy to do so but I'm sure it wouldn't be that easy on a real person. But I'm up for trying on you when I get back! :)

I also got to see iStan or Austin. This is there practice patient. iStan is a robot who can be programed to have virtually any disease or condition or diagnosis so that Med patients can practice on him. They can run tests and aminister drugs and iStan will react accordingly. He blinks and sweats and bleeds and urinates. He was so cool and not even that many employees get to see him because they just got him a little while ago and are still figureing him out! I'm sure I looked rediculous because I was grinning ear to ear because it was soo cool!

That night we went to a comedy club. I don't remember her name but she was on Last Comic Standing one time. She was pretty funny but we didn't get all of the jokes because we didn't know certain people or other London things. It was still fun though.

Well this is getting long again. and I'm pretty sure Thursday and Friday weren't exciting enough to bore you any longer and it is getting late. So i should call it a night anyway!
Hope the snow is treating you all well! :) I believe it is supposed to get into the 50's here later this week. (touch wood) [that's their way of saying Knock on wood].
Alright well goodnight/day/afternoon! I hope you all are doing well. Miss you all!

2 comments:

  1. I'm going to go with you should probably steal iStan because that sounds REALLY AWESOME.

    ReplyDelete
  2. so I went to a ear nose and throat doctor. and it was painful and my doctor was a bitch. so don't do that field I agree.

    I might let you practice on me. if you are very VERY careful and don't give me hep c. lol.

    and I think iStan could be very fun so yes steal him pleaze I want to practice medicine! lol.

    jk. kinda.

    love ya!

    ReplyDelete