Sunday, March 8, 2009

I'm a nerd. :)

So this week class and my internship were quite boring. I didn't do anything exciting but hopefully next week will change.

Thursday, however, I'm pretty sure I was in heaven. Since I don't have class and our internet was down I decided to go to the Science museum. I had wanted to but hadn't got a chance yet so Thursday was a perfect day to go...pretty much all of Thursday I was there, about 6 hours to be exact. It was wonderful. I'm glad no one else went with me or they would have been bored out of their mind probably.

There were 2 floors dedicated to medical history. One had things beginning with mummification all the way to just after WW2 if I remember right. There was so much stuff jammed into this floor I spent at least a couple hours there. It was really cool to see how similar a lot of the things ancient health care people used to what we use and that there were a lot of very good models they used for teaching.
While on this floor I discovered that I don't think I want to be a dentist. The idea had been floating in my head a little last semester but after looking at a few of the dentist exhibits I realised I find the Doctor stuff way more interesting. I mean there's so much more doctors do, and so many more tools they use. Not just things for scraping teeth or fake teeth. It just didn't excite me like the stethoscopes and microscopes and sphygnomometers and x-ray machines did. It was really interesting.

The next floor was full of models of doctor "offices" again from the past up until fairly recent. One room was set up as an operating room or theatre as it's called here. It was neat how accurate all of the stuff looked and how the things modernized.

Then there were like 4 more floors of things. I glanced throught the planes and ships and space sections as well as the energy and math parts. Although the math part was a little more interesting to me again :). There was also an agricultural section that was set up with models of things, (I figured Dad wouldn't like it if I didn't at least say I looked through this part). I guess I can nerdily say it was a little interesting. It was more cool to look at the models I guess.
There was a larger section about materials and waste I just kinda walked through because I was getting a little tired by this point. The final floor I walked around was household things. This was also neat to see some of the types things i've seen in shows in real life.
Then I hit up the shop and bought a coffee/tea mug with a skeleton on it and headed home.
Needless to say there are plenty of pictures of my adventure at the Science museum, and I may even go back and get some more! :) [I can tell you more if you wanna know or I can go back and learn something for you too! not that I need an excuse to go back!]

Friday we made a trip to Cantebury. There wasn't much there but we did take a tour of the Cathedral. This was really neat. It was goregous inside. Our tour guide said that it would take weeks to show everything in it and someone joked that I would probably spend a week in it. I don't know about that but it was cool inside. After our tour we went to a pub for food and then a few of us just found a little park. It was very pretty and I'm sure it would be better in the spring when the flowers were blooming. There was a little river/stream that ran through it as well. It was a nice afternoon.

There were some of our friend that are studying in Spain this semester that came for the weekend. It was good to see a couple of my friends again. Saturday while everyone else was shopping I went with a friend to Battersea park. This park is wonderful. There is so much green and trees and nice paths. and a huge pond/lake in it. We found a rock to sit on and journal while enjoying the day and the outdoors.

Today I worked on homework most of the day after church and multitasked :). It was rainy this afternoon but nothing like Iowa weather lately. It is supposed to be nice this week, which I am happy about because my parents come Tuesday. (So prayers of safe travels would be appreciated!)
Hope you all have a wondeful week, I know I will. It will be great to see my parents and show them around even though they have been here once before but only for a little while and my mom was pregnant with me so she doesn't really remember much.

Anyways. Have a great day!
Oh and right now we are only 5 hours different because we don't change for daylight savings time until the end of March.

1 comment:

  1. you are a dork. but i love you anyway! and I wanted to tell you that I will pretty much for sure be in pella the whole summer so you can show me all your pictures.

    anyway, have fun!

    ReplyDelete