Saturday, March 28, 2009

iHola! Nosotros fuemos a Barcelona

So first off, I'm pretty sure fuemos is not right in the title...I'm terrible at conjugation and hadn't used Spanish for a while. But I'll get to that :) Secondly I'd love to tell you about my internship and stuff from last week but I know people want to hear about Barcelona and I don't want to make this super duper long...So here's the deal. I'll write mostly about my trip to Barcelona in this blog and will either A) write about my internship sometime later this week in a blog or B) if you really want to know about it I can email you all the details. but 1) I can't promise I will get another blog soon. Hopefully after my internship this week though because as of right now I have basically no plans for this weekend other than a day trip or something so I'll have more time and 2) I'll only email you the details if you want them before I post another blog {hopefully this weekend} or send out an email. so either email me or comment and let me know and I'll email them to you :) Okay? Deal. :)

So Barcelona...It was a lot of fun. and really cool to see. As I said earlier I did get to use my Spanish. Amy also knows Spanish so together we made it through. In Barcelona, however, they don't just use the straight Spanish I know it's a different dialect that is pretty much a different language so this sometimes made it a little difficult but it still wasn't bad.

When we first got there it took us 6 hours (yup six) to get to our hostel because we actually flew into Gerona which is like an hour north of Barcelona but Ryanair flights there are cheap. So our public transportation was a lot that day... A train to catch our plane to catch a bus to take the metro to take a train to take a taxi to finally arrive at our hostel. It was an adventure. Our hostel was about 45 minutes by train outside of Barcelona also. We didn't know this when we booked it because it was called Barcelona camping something. It was a very nice place to stay. It was like a little cabin with 2 bed rooms and a kitchen. Just a little inconvenient for only having a day in Barcelona because the last bus that ran to it was at 9:30 so we didn't get to experience the night life of Barcelona (which actually might be a good thing).

Our day in Barcelona was also cut shorter because we neglected to think about the time change when we set our alarm for the morning...We ended up getting to the actual town around 1 or so and ate at a little restaurant [that had an English menu] because we were starving. I decided to be brave and try something I didn't know what it was. I ordered sandwich bread with an omelet. It had really no flavor except for the mayo which was on it and I HATE mayo. But I suffered though it, even though I was still starving afterwards. We all were, even though they all had burgers or chicken, so we also went to McDonald's afterwards, which was delicious!

So we finally started to see the city after we were feeling much better with a full stomach. We didn't really know what all we wanted to see but started to make our way to a market. The street we followed had all little pet shops lining it. I don't know why you would want a pigeon for a pet but you could buy one
at the shops. All sorts of animals, chickens, hamsters, turtles, rabbits.
The market we found was all food. Mostly Fruits and meats. The fruit all looked very good and smelled wonderful. The fish didn't smell so wonderful, and some of it didn't look very good, especially the ones that still had their head and eyes...Some of the other meat looked like it had just been skinned. Many of the restaurants and places in the market had hole hog legs hanging there. I don't know what really one would do with a whole hog leg but they were there if you wanted one!
[I put the picture of the fruit rather than the meat, even though there was some cool stuff because I don't want to make anyone queasy! haha but the others will soon be on my picasa web album]

We continued to walk around and made our way to the sea, unfortunately it was near the docks so we didn't go on the beach. [we did see the beach on our train commute and it looked beautiful!] I was just happy that I was wearing flip flops, I say that's my favorite part of the trip! It was a little chilly but we didn't need our coats. My face did end up getting a little red but that happens easily for me!

We then found the Cathedral of Barcelona which look beautiful on the post cards we had seen so we were excited to find it but when we did we were very saddened that there was construction going on so we were unable to see the outside of it. We did get to go inside and the inside is breath taking, mostly due to the high ceilings and large amount of gold things in it.


After this we went to a supermarket to get some food to cook for diner and began the long trip back to our hostel. We had to get up early for our long trek to the airport Saturday morning. Even though it was a short trip I had a good time. It is always nice to get out of London for a while, especially as we are nearing the end of our time here, which is bitter sweet and I try to avoid talking about or bringing up. So Anyways! This is the end of this blog, I hopefully didn't leave anything out that's semi important or interesting but I'm sure I'll tell you if I do think of something!

Coming up this week:
¬My internship--I don' t think anything exciting is going on for me at West Mid but there is talk of hopefully going back to surgery some time!
¬Friday we get a (hopefully) lovely Indian lunch paid for by Central (which is always a good thing!) I'm a little wary as I will most likely have to eat lamb, but I think it's okay because they aren't my own...I still don't know for sure...
¬Friday we also have a tour of Parliament.
¬Saturday Kelsey and I may make a day trip to Brighton a little town on the coast that others have said is awesome.

That's what you have to look forward to, you should be excited because I am! haha I've always been bad at conclusions and ending things so I like to ramble on and on at the end which is only making this longer so Have a great day and I will write again soon!
iAdios!

No comments:

Post a Comment